Thursday, July 9, 2015

Heard and Not Seen


Heard and Not Seen
© 2015 by Gary Lee Joyner

What kind of guitar do I like?
Do you mean a certain brand or style?
Or one particular fetish object?

Listen
Listen

A guitar needs to stay out of my way
A guitar must not get in my way
Transparent
As soon as I notice it I don’t like it
I like to make love in the dark
The touch that isn’t there
The touch that’s so elemental
It may not even be there

Listen
Listen

Here’s the truth
Here’s the deal
This is how it is
It may not have the romance you’re looking for
But listen

Listen

I’ve been married to guitars for 48 years
No divorce in sight

Three things become clear over that length of time
1.     You now look like each other. (Check out Segovia at 90)
2.     It’s hard to be in the same room together for any length of time (ignoring each other helps)
3.     You accept that you are stuck with each other for the duration

OK, four things
4.     Don’t you touch her without asking
I’m standing right here for god sakes

Listen again

As we both know
If she ever did leave
I would sit every night at an open window
With a cold-burning candle
Ready to guide her back home

Complicated, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment